Monday, December 5, 2011

St. Nicholas (or is he Santa Claus?)


I love Santa Claus and I'm not ashamed to admit it! Over the years, I've been slowly collecting Santa Clauses of all types and sizes which always go on display at my house for Christmas. My collection includes Santas from many different nationalities and I'm intent on getting more!

But until I met my husband in 1998 I was not that aware that not every one who celebrates Christmas believes that Santa Claus brings their presents. In Germany, where my husband is from, the Christ Child brings presents for all of the good boys and girls on Christmas Eve.

So where does St. Nicholas fit into this?

St. Nicholas of Myra was born in 3rd century Turkey to wealthy parents, but was orphaned at a young age. He was a devout Christian who become Bishop of Myra. Tales of his benevolence and goodness, especially when it concerned children, spread throughout the area. The date of his death, December 6th, is now celebrated through out the world by the giving of gifts, following his example of generosity.

To find about more about the life of Saint Nicholas and how his life and the story of Santa Claus are related check out these titles:








And some books for the kids:


The Real Santa Claus by Marianna Mayer

The Gift From Saint Nicholas by Dorothea Lachner


And for even more information be sure to check out these sites:


Nicholas of Myra: The Story of Saint Nicholas (this is the official site for a film now in production)


-- Post by Tracy


No comments:

Post a Comment