Wednesday, September 5, 2012

September is Library Card Sign Up Month



I'm a Librarian, so of course, I have a library card. Mine gets used quite frequently. If I didn't work at the library I would still be a regular visitor to my local library. I've had many different cards through the years, depending on where I lived. I even had one when I lived in Germany several years ago. The large city where we lived had a great English language section that really helped me out. 

September is Library Card Sign-up Month, a time when the American Library Association (ALA) and libraries across the country remind parents and caregivers that a library card is the smartest card you can own. 

When it comes to achieving academic success, a library card provides students with access to a world of both print and electronic resources. Students can access free databases, online homework help and attend programs, activities and clubs that provide an added value to the educational experience. It’s easy to see why eighty-four percent of Americans agree that the public library is important to education. 

Having a library card is important to adults as well as children. The public library provides a wide variety of materials for anyone interested in expanding their horizons. Whether it's just out of simple curiosity or because you are continuing your formal education, the library has many of the tools you need to succeed in life.

Pittsburgh native and playwright, August Wilson, is a fine example of this. He had to drop out of school in ninth grade but he educated himself at the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh. While this is not the ideal path for students, Wilson was able to improve his life and go on to be one of the most celebrated playwrights America has ever had. 

Another example is Ray Bradbury, who I wrote about here


And for an added bonus the Pittsburgh Steelers own Troy Polamalu is the Honorary Chair for Library Card Sign Up Month!

If you, or anyone in your family, doesn't have a library card yet, please take a moment to stop by Monroeville Public Library (or your local public library) and sign up today!


-- Post by Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment