Saturday, January 5, 2013

Staff Recommendation #9: "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn


As a librarian, I get to read lots of reviews about upcoming books. Many of them sound interesting to me, but I don't tend to ever read them. Or it may be several months, if not longer, before I get my hands on them. I've never been a reader who has to read the latest bestseller right away -- it's not going anywhere!

One of those books that I read about that intrigued me was Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. So when I actually had an opportunity to read it while on vacation a few months ago, I jumped at the chance. And I am so glad I did!

The story starts on the day of Nick and Amy's fifth wedding anniversary. What starts as a day for celebration turns into a day of fear and confusion when Amy disappears from their home in Missouri. As the search and investigation deepen, Nick becomes more and more a suspect in his wife's disappearance. He digs himself a deeper and deeper hole by his lies and deceptions. But is he responsible? I'm not going to tell you, so you'll have to read it yourself to find out!

This is a very hard book to review because there is so much that needs to be left to the reader to discover. My recommendation is to read this as soon as you can, and don't read the last chapter first!

Here are some read-alikes in case you're on the (still) long waiting list for Gone Girl, or you've already read it and want more of the same:




-- The Breaker by Minette Walters
A young girl is found wandering around an English village, while her mother's body washes up on a nearby beach. Several suspects soon surface and many secrets are revealed throughout the investigation. After reading this, make sure to check out other books by Minette Walters.

-- In The Woods by Tana French
The first in a series from the Irish mystery writer. Detective Ryan must investigate the murder of a 12-year-old girl, in the same woods where several children went missing 20 years earlier -- and where Ryan was found clinging to a tree.



-- Before I Go To Sleep by S. J. Watson
A woman, whose memory was damaged a long time ago in an accident, wakes up every morning with no memory of her husband or her life (she thinks she's still single). She keeps a secret journal from her husband that her doctor tells her where to find every day. The journal and what her husband tell her do not match up.

-- The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith
This classic psychological thriller from 1955 is the first in a series about the nihilistic Tom Ripley, who slowly begins to take over the life of the young man he was sent to Italy to bring home. Mr. Ripley's story continues in four more suspenseful novels. Also made popular by Matt Damon in the 1992 film.


-- Post by Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment