Thursday, February 21, 2013

It's almost time for the Oscars!


Once again, it's that time of year: awards season in Hollywood. This coming Sunday, February 24th, is the cumulation of the season -- when the 85th Academy Awards will be presented.

As seen in a previous blog, I'm a fan of films. I like most kind of movies, although I won't go and see just anything. Even if a film has been nominated for an Oscar, it doesn't mean I will rush out and see it. In fact, in this year's crop, I've only seen three of the nine films nominated for Best Picture.

Having said that, in honor of the Oscars, I'm going to take a chance on making my predictions as to who will win in the major categories. This is not something I normally do. Actually, I have two friends who have a friendly bet every year over who can predict the most winners -- which I do not participate in, because they are far more knowledgeable about movies than I am. Still, I thought it might be fun to take a chance this year and try it for myself.

So, here goes!

Best Picture

Amour
Argo
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

My Prediction: This is a tough one because they all have their merits. But I think that, in the end, Argo is going to win. The Academy likes "true" stories, which Argo qualifies for. Lincoln is also a "true" story, but I think that Argo will win because it is a good film -- and to make up for the fact that Ben Affleck was not nominated for Best Director.


Actor in a Leading Role

Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook
Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
Hugh Jackman, Les Miserables
Joaquin Phoenix, The Master
Denzel Washington, Flight

My Prediction: This award is going to Daniel Day-Lewis, and if anyone else wins I would be shocked. If it wasn't for Day-Lewis's becoming Abraham Lincoln, Bradley Cooper or Denzel Washington would have been duking it out for the award.


Actor in a Supporting Role

Alan Arkin, Argo
Rober De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook
Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln
Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained

My Prediction: This is a toss-up between Arkin and De Niro, with Jones as an outside chance. But I'm going to go with Robert De Niro. I have seen both performances, and De Niro stands a bit more. This is one of the best roles he's had in quite a long time.


Actress in a Leading Role

Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Emmanuelle Riva, Amour
Quvenzhane Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild
Naomi Watts, The Impossible

My Prediction: The competition seems to be between Jessica Chastain and Jennifer Lawrence, but I think in the end, Lawrence will win this category, for her role as a young widow trying to get her life back on track. If you only know Lawrence from The Hunger Games, you will be very surprised by her performance.


Actress in a Supporting Role

Amy Adams, The Master
Salle Field, Lincoln
Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
Helen Hunt, The Sessions
Jacki Weaver, Silver Linings Playbook

My Prediction: Early on, Helen Hunt was getting a lot of buzz for this category. But that has changed. The buzz now belongs to Anne Hathaway, who is my pick.



Directing

Michael Haneke, Amour
Benh Zeitlin, Beasts of the Southern Wild
Ang Lee, Life of Pi
Steven Spielberg, Lincoln
David O. Russell, Silver Linings Playbook

My Prediction: If Argo or Zero Dark Thirty win Best Picture, it will only be the 4th time that the director of the Best Picture did not also win. Of course, there is no way for Affleck or Kathryn Bigelow to win, since they neither were nominated. That being the case, Spielberg will most likely win for Lincoln.



I will check back in on Monday to see how I did. If I did well, I may have to rethink not betting with my friends!

-- Post by Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment