Thursday, March 27, 2014

Keep Calm and Don't Lose Your Head!


The Cast of Sleepy Hollow

Last summer I decided I was only going to start watching one new show for the upcoming television season and that was going to be Almost Human. My DVR is getting pushed to the limit of its capacity because I hate to delete shows that I really love.  Plus, I've had my heart broken way too often by falling in love with a show, just to have the network cancel it.

That all changed when I found out that John Noble, who played Walter Bishop on Fringe, would be making a guest appearance on Sleepy Hollow (FOX). I had read a bit about the show and it did sound interesting, but since I had promised myself only one new show I stayed away! But since it was John Noble from my most favorite show I had to watch. And I'm so glad I did!

John Noble as Henry Parish

The show is very loosely based on the story The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving. And when I say loosely, I really mean loosely. The original tells the story of schoolmaster Ichabod Crane's pursuit of lovely Katrina Van Tassel. After failing to secure Katrina's affection, Crane is chased by the legendary Headless Horseman. Crane is never seen again and Katrina marries Crane's rival, Brom Bones.

Other than the characters of Ichabod Crane, Katrina and the Headless Horseman, there are no other similarities. The creators took the original story and completely turned it on its head. This Crane is a Revolutionary War hero who was killed in battle, but wakes up from a grave 250 years later to discover that his wife (who was a witch) cast a spell upon him to protect him from the forces of evil surrounding Sleepy Hollow and Crane. He meets young Abbie Mills, a lieutenant in the Sleepy Hollow Sherrif's Office who has just found the decapitated body of her friend and mentor, Sherrif Corbin.

Everyone believes that Crane is delusional, but when more and more strange things begin happening in the town they come to believe his story. Now Abbie, Crane and an assortment of other people are trying to stop the coming apocalypse.



I know this may not be everyone's cup of tea, but if you like supernatural stories along with some quirky and appealing characters, then this might be the show for you. Unfortunately, season one has not been released on DVD yet. So until it does you might want to check out some of these other versions of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.





This animated classic from Disney is one of the best adaptations of Irving's story. Bing Crosby provides the narration.

-- The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1988)


Here is another animated telling, with narration from Glenn Close.


-- Shelly Duvall's Tall Tales & Legends: The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1985)


This series made many of America's legends accessible to all ages. This series also includes episodes of Annie Oakley, John Henry and Davey Crockett among others.

-- Sleepy Hollow (1999)


Johnny Depp stars as Ichabod Crane in this adaptation from director Tim Burton. In this version Crane is a constable sent from New York City to investigate the mysterious decapitation of three townspeople. The main suspect? The Headless Horseman, of course!


And remember ...




--Post by Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment