Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Staff Recommendation #34: Snowpiercer





I'm a huge fan of post-apocalyptic/dystopian stories and have been for a very long time. My first post-apocalyptic book I can recall reading was Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien, which is about a young girl who seems to be the sole survivor of a nuclear accident, until one day a man shows up at her house. I suppose as a young person I was impressed by this young woman, not much older than me at the time, who was surviving on her own in a desolate world. Of course, I've read many more since then, with The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins and the MaddAddam trilogy by Margaret Atwood being my favorites.

After watching the recently-released DVD Snowpiercer, I've finally realized what appeals most to me about this genre -- the determination of the human spirit and the will to persevere. There are many other genres that tackle this subject, but dystopian stories resonate with me for some reason. Maybe it's the idea that we hope the future will be bright and shiny-- but here are stories of nuclear destruction, plagues, and war. How did we let this kind of event happen? How can anyone survive such a cataclysmic event?

In the case of Snowpiercer, based on a French graphic novel, the event is a failed attempt to control global warming. Instead of cooling the earth a little bit, it cooled it a whole lot and froze the earth. The lucky few who survive board a train that continually travels the globe, with the wealthy traveling in style and the poor crammed into the last few cars of the train, literally living on top of each other.

There have been several attempts at getting to the front of the train in the 17 years they have been traveling, but they have all failed. Curtis (Chris Evans) is determined to break out and help the rest of those stuck at the back who are eating gelatinous mounds called protein bars. Messages are mysteriously appearing in those bars, but who is sending them and why? With the help of Gilliam (John Hurt), Edgar (Jamie Bell), and many others, they make their break. Will they make it to the front and what will they find if they do?

No matter the circumstances that find humans in a post-apocalyptic situation, they somehow find a way to survive. It may not be a wonderful existence, but they keep battling on, longing for that day when things will get better. While I read and watch, I wonder how I would survive in this kind of world and am constantly amazed by what the people in these stories are willing to sacrifice in order for them and many others to survive. I'm not sure how I would do, but I hope I never have to find out!

Click here to request Snowpiercer [DVD or Blu-Ray].

Click here to request Snowpiercer [graphic novel].

--Post by Tracy


No comments:

Post a Comment