Thursday, December 4, 2014

Sounds of the Season: Part II


When it comes to Christmas music, I am a traditionalist. I like the standards from the 40s and 50s and many of the stars who sang them. There have been some new songs along the way that haven't been bad, but not enough to make me stray from my old standbys.  As you will see with my list of holiday favorites, there may be a few "newer" singers and musicians, but they are still singing the oldies but goodies!



-- Johnny Mathis


Of all the Christmas albums I have listened to in my lifetime, there is none better than Merry Christmas by Johnny Mathis. Mathis, known for such hits as Chances Are and It's Not For Me To Say, has released several Christmas albums throughout his long career, but none could top that first album released in 1958. Merry Christmas combines traditional Christmas songs with more modern tunes. If you listen to the album on vinyl, as I did growing up, you'll hear the modern songs on the first side with the traditional songs on the second side.

This is one of the first albums I can every remember listening to and was well worn from the numerous times it was played.

Request Merry Christmas from the Catalog

Request Sending You A Little Christmas from the Catalog

Request The Christmas Album from the Catalog

-- Harry Connick, Jr.


I have been a fan of Harry Connick Jr. for a very long time and I own most of his albums. But my favorite album of his just might be When My Heart Finds Christmas, the first of three Christmas albums from Connick. While the other two are fine recordings, this one has a wonderful combination of traditional and original songs. 

My favorites are (It Must've Been Ol') Santa Claus, What Are You Doing New Year's Eve? and the title track, When My Heart Finds Christmas





-- A Charlie Brown Christmas


If there is someone not aware of this very special 1965 Christmas special, they must be living under a rock. As a kid I couldn't wait for this to be on television. And now as an adult I still feel the same! Besides being a Peanuts fan, I've grown to love the music as much as the show. 

A Charlie Brown Christmas was the first of many collaborations between Vince Guaraldi and the producers of the Peanuts specials. They wanted a different sound than the usual cartoon music and boy, did they ever get that! The jazz trio created a very atmospheric and beautiful accompaniment to Charlie Brown's quest to find the true meaning of Christmas.



-- Barenaked Ladies


This wonderful eclectic collection of Christmas and Hanukkah songs comes from one of my favorite bands. The band includes several very traditional songs, like Jingle Bells and God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman/We Three Kings (with Sarah McLachlan). There are also quite a few covers of more contemporary Christmas favorites like Do They Know It's Christmas? and Wonderful Christmastime

But for me the highlight are the original songs such as Elf's Lament (with Michael Buble), Hanukkah Blessings and Green Christmas. If you are looking for something just a little bit different, but still somewhat traditional, this is the album for you!



--Post by Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment